Dear Parents and Friends of Grade 5. We have just come off a full week of learning and exploring and now looking ahead to another, although shorter, week of learning, exploring, and having fun!
- Writing Celebration: When? Wednesday at 9:00am. Where? On the ES Lawn. Who? Students, teachers and parents of Grade 5. Why? To celebrate the fantastics work and perseverance that the grade 5 authors and readers have been doing in this unit
- Parent-Teacher Conferences: Will be on the afternoon of the 13th and the day of the 14th of March. Please book your time through Skyward. If you are having difficulty booking a time using Skyward, please refer to the email sent out to parents.
- March 13 ES Fundraising House Event: There will be a Walk-a-thon starting at 7:55. Fell free to send a donation in a sealed envelope with your child. Come and join us for a walk!
- Mathematics End of Module Assessment: The end of module assessment will be on the 12th of March
- Guidance Update – Upcoming Puberty TalksDear Grade 5 Families,As part of the health and social education your child receives, we will be providing puberty classes for all 4th and 5th grade students this month. This program revolves around the belief that if children are better informed they will be more comfortable with the changes they are going through and more willing to seek support from their parents and other trusted adults.The dates for the Grade 5 puberty lessons are Sunday, March 18th and Sunday, March 22nd.Please click on this Puberty - Letter for Parents link for important information regarding the topics that will be addressed and the video that will be showed.All the best,Carey Harris
- ASA girls basketball will take place trimester three with Ms. Greene. She would like as many grade 5 girls as possible to come along to try out basketball. It doesn't matter if your child have never played, getting them exposed to such a fun sport will prepare them for Middle School. Ms. Greene also coaches the Middle School team and will be recruiting girls next year....so come out and give it a try.
- Girls Get Strong will host its third health and fitness conference on. This year we are excited to have other schools in Cairo and our region joining us! This year’s theme is Girls In Action and it is without a doubt we have assembled a wide variety of experts to help our young women put skills needed to lead a healthy lifestyle "In Action".
Reading Workshop & Writing Workshop:
This week in Language Arts we are finishing our fantastical unit of Fantasy! This unit is one of the most fun and enjoyable units for the students and teachers alike.
For writing the students will be revising, editing and illustrating their picture books.
In reading the students will be completing their final book club meetings. The students will continue to read their fantasy books as well as jot and write long about the character motivations, themes, lessons and dragons!
Next week we will begin our next Language Arts unit. This unit will be an argumentative writing and reading unit. The students will study and discuss what makes a good argument. The students will learn how to write argumentative essays and identify effective arguments in their reading, as well as different perspectives of an argument and what might the motivations be for the different perspectives.
In mathematics this week the grade 5 students will continue on their discovery of the story of fractions, specifically, interpreting and evaluating numerical expressions including the language of scaling and fraction division, and, creating story contexts for numerical expressions and tape diagrams, and solve word problems.
This week the grade 5 scientists will continue with their stream table experiments using the scientific method. The scientists will be purposing what might happen to the earths surface during a flood and then conducting a practical experiment to find out. The scientists will also be writing up their experiments as accurately as they can with use of the scientific method.
This month's CAC Core Value is 'Perseverance', so in circles this week the students will be focusing on discovering what it means to persevere in the many things we do in our lives.
Your partners in education,
LeeAnn Kasal firstname.lastname@example.org
Caitlin Johnson email@example.com
Bonnie Greene firstname.lastname@example.org
Jonathan O'Sullivan email@example.com